Some interesting stats that came up in a digital marketing course I’m doing at the moment:
- 90% of small businesses in the UK now report using social media. (Social Media Today infographic. 18th September 2012.)
- In the USA, by the end of 2013, 77% of the largest companies (the Fortune 500) now have active Twitter accounts and 70% maintain a Facebook Page, according to a University of Massachusetts Dartmouth study. (‘2013 Fortune 500 Are Bullish on Social Media’.
- Across all categories online advertising spend by companies increased by 15.2% to £6.30 billion in 2013.
- Mobile now accounts for 35% of total digital social media advertising. (Smart Insights article on ‘Mobile and video formats show largest growth in expenditure’. 25th April 2014.)
- Online video is getting really big. For example, Coke is doubling its spend on short social video in 2014.
- There’s huge potential for brands in making effective use of new real time image services such as Snapchat.
There’s not much information on how all these campaigns are working but you’d like to think that companies aren’t just chucking money at the problem to see what sticks!